Thursday, February 21, 2019

Turn Toward One Another

 In Genesis 2:24 it says:
“Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”
I like the word that is used in this scripture, to “cleave.” It could have easily said to hold on to or to be with, but instead it is to cleave. When I think of that I think of holding on to something, which requires effort and sacrifice. It is putting that spouse above yourself in order to keep hold of them. I don’t mean that in an abusive way, but rather in a selfless way. In D&C 64:33 it says:
“Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.”
The reason that I like this scripture as it applies to marriage is because it is in the little day to day things that causes a marriage to thrive and blossom. A great example of this to me is my parents marriage, my Dad calls my Mom on his lunch break and has for 34 years, every single day. They talk about their days and express any concerns or joys that they have, and it is a way for them to connect. My Dad could easily do something else, but by taking that small time, they are drawing closer together. My Dad also took the lead on weekends and would get all 5 kids up for breakfast and make a delicious breakfast for my Mom to wake up to. He would run errands and take us along, and give my Mom a break. My parents marriage wasn’t perfect, but it has lasted because they recognize that a lasting marriage is in the details. Choosing every single day that other person and putting their needs above your own. My Mom has always been my Dad’s biggest cheerleader and support. Whenever he feels like he can’t do something my Mom encourages him to go for it and excel and he does.
            Within my own marriage the demise was caused by the lack of drawing together on the little things. People expect a marriage to crumble over big events, but actually it is the small things that cause the greatest impact and will draw a couple further apart. I love a quote by Howard W. Hunter who summed it up best:
”Being happily and successfully married is generally not so much a matter of marrying the right person, as it is being the right person.”
Choosing to draw closer to your spouse and proactively seek opportunities to be together, to talk and to do mundane things together, will be the stones that your foundation is built upon. Over time you will see that you have constructed a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, the vessel of your marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment